Thursday, July 22, 2010

Merperson

On Having Lunch With Someone I Love Whom the World Thinks is Crazy

Merperson has a fondness
for a small stringed puppet
of a businessman –

found abandoned
in Long Island Sound –
perhaps thrown overboard

by some bored human being
drinking lemonade
and getting tan.

Merperson likes to fondle him
while making him dance
something like a can-can –

floating with him in the greeny sea
with lovely fatuous complacency.
which somehow makes me

understand that I have never seen –
nor can, I think, expect to see –
one creature capable of choice

that doesn’t do exactly
what it wants or isn’t
what it wants to be.




.

4 comments:

Guy Kettelhack said...

I just found out a way to translate Chinese into English on Google -- so I'll go back and check your earlier comments. What do you mean by "more haste, more speed" in terms of this poem?

Thanks.

Guy Kettelhack said...

我刚刚发现了一个方法,在谷歌翻译成英语中文 - 所以我会回去检查您刚才的发言。你是什么意思“更匆忙,更快的速度在这首诗条款”?

谢谢。

加伦。 said...

哈哈哈!这是可爱的!

Guy Kettelhack said...

oh you dear creature, Garen! Ain't Google Translator sumpin'?