Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Everybody's Mother and Everybody's Father





Everybody’s mother and everybody’s father
coalesced collectively into a single couple
who spent most of the past hour sitting warily
across from me. The pent-up force of all that

parenthood against my fragile lone experience,
now only dimly recollected, of whatever it had
meant to have a daddy and a mommy didn’t
bode too awfully well. I mean, come on now!

Damn and hell! Here I was with this odd cosmos
of progenitors all crammed into a lady and a man.
What was I supposed to do? Finally I’d had it.
I said “shoo!” And “scram!” Which evidently

indicated we had adequately ended the exam.
They evanesced into a trillion billion quantum-
tiny particles of brilliant glow and quit the show.
I’ve never been so happy to see anybody go.









.

No comments: