Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Eleanor's Nice

This morning, en route to a cat
that I tend in the home of a friend,
I decided to wend my way past

the lank statue of Eleanor Roosevelt:
bronze, long and pensive – suspending
her ghost in a host of clipped shrub

and wrought iron park bench: at
the start of the hub of the upper west side,
overseeing the river and Riverside Park.

It was early, and quiet, an hour
past dark, and nobody around, so I tipped
my head towards the brown lady

who seemed to be whispering sound,
and she was, and she said: “Sew
the mystical thread in like silk through

the burlap, or better: weave burlap
through silk: there is no purer milk:
cacophony highlights the lyrical. Don't

praise or deride, just derive a felt sense
of the spherical.” Then others arrived:
she resumed her immutable miracle.

Eleanor’s nice. Worth visiting twice.



.

No comments: