Monday, July 1, 2019

For Bill Houston 1925 - 2019 - Oh Danny Boy

 
 
 
This is for, and in memory of, Bill Houston who died last week at the age of 94, and for all his wonderful family - his brilliant wife Joyce, his children Laura, Linda & Jim and Laura's children Elizabeth Wirth & Erin Wirth, & Laura's husband Mike Neville, and Linda's husband Albert Costabile - who are all my family, too. I love them more than I'll ever be able to express.
.
I just learned Bill would sing "Danny Boy" at parties: apparently he had a beautiful voice, which I'd never heard! Doesn't seem possible I didn't know that. (How I wish I'd been at one of those parties!) What I did know is that he may have been the funniest human being on the planet: his wit was so quick and spot-on you'd be slain by it and you'd love being slain. But he could touch your heart in many other ways too, and I now know singing "Danny Boy" was one of them. 
.
He called me "Ike" because at 4 or 5 (i.e., 1955, '56), with my close crewcut so blond it looked white, I resembled Dwight D. Eisenhower. That's how far we go back.
.
Anyway, here's me singing "Danny Boy" in his honor and memory and with all my love.
.

 
 

No comments: