Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I Like Milk



The utterly reliable completeness with which refrigerated milk fulfills
whatever yearning my mouth, soul and psyche regularly bring to it
recalls the barest glint and whiff, vestigial trace, the almost utterly
forgotten grace not of my childhood so much as of the source of
something farther, farther – so much farther back than human
intercourse of any kind; beyond all genesis of Mind: where
had a sentient spirit somehow come to be, and thought

to seek to find it – the rebounding echo of the vast and
pounding first primordial Lack to which the Big Bang
rushed with its attractions – might have offered all
at once its absolution of an answer to all vexing
existential fears. That, perhaps, begins to say,
convey some fraction of the bliss with which,
through years, I’ve turned to the experience

of this entirely efficient counteraction to the
visceral somatic memory of that first dire
abyss. Whatever factions of experience
have since ensued – whatever cyclic
eons in which energy and matter
have become unglued,
construed

or
mis-
construed –
there can
have
been
no

greater
satisfaction in
one bit of it – no
sweeter glory – than
what is hinted at, implied

inside the story I can tell about
the way a gallon of refrigerated milk,
sipped through the night, so incrementally
provides its perfect and divine delight, through its
suggestive pearl-white flow of potable sweet liquid silk.
















.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is wonderful Guy, all this from sips of milk!! Love your use of Lack, suggesting both the "first thirst" and the chemical term lactose, or milk sugar. Enjoyed!!
I am always impressed with your vast vocabulary and the ease with which you use it. It never condescends. Actually, it makes me feel smarter!! Becca

Guy Kettelhack said...

Becca, thank you -- Are you Mary Lou's daughter? Or do I know you in another way? My curiosity is piqued --

thanks!

Guy

Unknown said...

No, Guy, I found your work at a poetry site a couple months ago and in response to my post asking if you had a site where I could find more of your poetry, you directed me here to your "garage"
We are not acquainted personally, I am a fan that visits often to read your wonderful poems.
Hope that you don't consider this an invasion of your privacy.
Becca

Guy Kettelhack said...

of course! you showed some of my drawings to your grandchild I think? -- sorry I blanked -- and thanks so much for coming back & talking about it!

best to you Rebecca --

g