Friday, September 29, 2017

By the Time I Put my Pen Away


Two appealing faces lent their graces to me several days ago –
or was it several weeks, three months, a year? That’s part
of what they may have come to prod me to remember
by appearing here – that to appear had not had any purpose:
anyway, beyond what might occur to me to fabricate because

I needed meaning: they hadn’t come to tell me who they were
in time or space beyond what they aroused in me by being seen:
seeing is the thing, I glean, that they had beckoned me to lean
into: to press my awkward essence into untoward flow,
become with them a medium, an estuary, liquid, salt and fresh,

aligning in the ways that chicken soup, they say, address
the aches and fever in the virus-ridden flesh: designing, with me,
some unprecedented opening. This duet of visages, I then
decided, were the risen and collective manifest suggestion
that two points-of-view could more than theoretically begin to link

with mine, whatever mine was: indeed that such a confluence
was happening already! – and once I knew it was, I’d know
at last I’d made a serviceable verb of “think.” The brink they
brought me to was not a rift: the lift they taught was what it meant
to generate a breathing thought. Only then might proverbs gain

a pulse, could Word approach the Flesh and gird the cosmos
with its latticework of joined ecstatic differences: the gone, the here,
the old, the new, now steamed into a life-begetting stew, to swallow
which would be what a Communion symbolized: the sole soul food –
the soul itself, the pelf beyond all other wealth, the art the heart

imparted. I’ve no idea, of course, if this is what they’d wanted
to convey. All I can say is by the time I put my pen away, they had
departed. I nearly said summarily. Assonant with verily. Capricious
fizz, this tic, this specious rhetoric! Is that what meaning is?
Reflexive speech? Maybe that’s what they had come to teach.

.

No comments: