Sunday, March 25, 2018

Further Punditry...


Further Punditry on the Nature of #@+*^!
as it Relates to the #@+*^!
of Art.



(here’s the link to the first one:

As is almost always with the case with my little manifestos, this part 2 of the part 1 of my musing about the wellsprings of Art emerged from a two-way email confab with Reed Woodhouse, whose very fine mind always prods mine (or so I fancy) to be a least little finer than it would otherwise be. But/and the impulse in all this burrowing not so much into ‘what art is’ as where it comes from in me very much feels native to me. As I fall more regularly into what W.H. Auden I believe called “the habit of art” – which became the title of a play I saw some years ago in London which detailed an encounter between him and Benjamin Britten – a phrase by which I mean, as I regularly find myself doing my version of what my mother did throughout her life – sit down daily at her drawing table to paint – I more and more experience not as the product of discipline or even exactly intention, but as something the animal of me insists upon, as biological as sex or eating. It’s out of my wonder at and curiosity about this that I keep massaging the skin of this animal to see what reactions I can get from it about what’s going on in it. Odd to attempt to watch an act of creation you’re doing yourself. But sort of riveting in a Jamesian way. (It’s what the James brothers William and Henry did every day.)
.
=================================================
.
I have to keep the doors and windows wide open on this all the way. The exciting thing for me has been to recognize more fully than ever these days that the processes of attraction and selection and applying whatever tools or skills I have to give them expression probably characterize every moment of my thinking and feeling and expressive life. They seem to me now in no way different (except in degree) from what I bring to bear on a drawing or poem or email or musical effusion on the fiddle or singing a song than they are when I open my eyes and look out the window in the morning: all are acts at least of proto-creation, the looking-out-the-window part only proto- because it hasn’t yet found expression.
.
To me this doesn’t level all perception and apprehension of the world into some meaningless undifferentiated mass of plasma nor does it suggest that there aren’t different degrees of noticing, liking or disliking what we apprehend, nor is something we’ve good reason to call intention uninvolved in what we may decide to do, say, write, perform or talk on the phone about it (though ‘intention’ to me remains loaded with the imponderable), and certainly it doesn’t address the realms of achieving excellence in that expression, indeed discerning for ourselves what excellence even means, or the specificity of what skills are needed to achieve it: that is, it doesn’t explore critical thinking: it’s really just about what accounts for art happening at all - but not only art. We exercise a majority of these discernments any time we take in anything.
.
That’s the excitement for me, which seems simple and profound: to recognize that human sentience in the very nature of how it understand things and expresses them employs a heterogeneity of often exquisitely honed responsive abilities the achievement of art depends on. We’re hardwired for it. I can see how this might seem fatuously self-evident (I hear echoes of HG Wells excoriating the late Henry James’ grandiose smallnesses), but it’s rich stuff to me.
.
I even think it’s fun! - although I probably haven’t made it sound very fun. In fact I may well have created the horrible jolly bunny you see here that would make a child cry.
.
.

No comments: