Thursday, January 3, 2019

All I Have To Do Right Now



.
Today I watched a pepperoni pizza give itself
up to two chewing mouths on television –
a commercial for two chewing mouths, I think,
though I do not recall where you can buy them –
and I looked around at the results of my exquisitely
ridiculous good luck at being just where I could
not imagine not existing – what reference
.
could I have for elsewhere? – and I betook myself
from my warm January New York City private lair –
to tell you I live there is to exult in it – and with
a practiced fine alacrity I wrapped myself into
a long back winter coat and pulled down on my
thug-shaved head a watch cap, also black, which
made me feel like Jean Genet, and made my way
.
to get two slices from a pepperoni pizza at a pizza
place on Second Avenue around the corner
between Second Street where I reside and Third,
where Quentin Crisp once lived – a handful
of inconsequential minutes with a consequence:
a renewed acquaintance with one patent fact,
that I lived in a place where I profoundly couldn’t
.
ever be alone. I lived among who knew how many
hundred thousands of New Yorkers in a compass
which expanded within outer city limits to eight
million and a bit. This was lustrously brought
home to me by seeing not more than sixteen
or twenty strangers bustling by me, easily
accommodated by the large capacious freezing
.
winter night. Because there’s always space for
the anointed denizens of this unbreachable great
center of the Soul, this city that I nonetheless have
breached and now can eat a pizza in and write
a paean to and do a drawing for I do not have the least
compunction to explain or to forgive. All I have to do
right now is all I can’t not do: pizza-fully live.
.

No comments: